The main benefits of Asendia's parcel services to the USA
Contact us for full details of our international parcel service's and how they can benefit you and your customers in the USA.
Tried and tested, and trusted parcel delivery across the whole of the USA from the UK
Convenient and flexible delivery. Choose from low cost mail services to premium parcel services
Tracking & delivery steering. Better customer experience, saving you time and money
Why enter the American e-commerce market?
A key reason to look at entering the US market is its size and rate of growth and similar culture and language to the UK
- According to the Pew Research Center, 8 in 10 Americans are online and more than two thirds of them have made an online purchase. Digital commerce is growing at a rate of around 15% a year and by 2021 it is estimated that there will be 230.5 million digital shoppers in the US.
- America represents one of the largest cross border e-commerce markets in the world, with many businesses taking advantage of parcel delivery to the USA.
- A common linguistic background between the US and UK has made e-commerce trade easy between retailers and consumers in these two countries.
- American consumers are internet savvy and the country has a well-developed infrastructure to support e-commerce purchasing.
- Technology adoption is high, as are internet penetration rates, which are currently 83%, forecast to reach 85.8% by 2021.
Did you know?
42% of US internet users make at least one online purchase a month
United States B2C E-commerce Report 2016
Download the United States B2C E-commerce Report 2016 here to discover all the facts and know-how you need to expand your business into the US.
American e-commerce consumer trends
According to Mintel there are four key American consumer trends to look out for in 2018:
- Trust has become a major issue for American consumers - brands are new expected to state values and stand by them and consumers increasingly make brand choices based on which values align with their own
- Bargain hunting is more of a theme than ever before - the stigma of coupon shopping is gone
- Self-care is a major consumer trend - given the economic and social upheaval of recent years, American consumers are keen to look after and better themselves.
- Technology adoption will diversify - Mintel has predicted that American consumers will be more open to an increasingly wide range of technology, including voice and visual devices and software.
USA customs regulations and the impact on international e-commerce
Although the USA is organised along state lines, there are no separate rules and regulations when it comes to customs for goods that are arriving into the country. Many people assume that because states make their own laws on a number of issues this will be the case. However, customs are defined on a federal basis, which means that the USA has one set of customs requirements and these apply to the entire country.
For most items that come in under the value of $800 there will be no duty or taxes to pay. This threshold was increased from $200 to $800 in 2016.
The USA has its own very specific list of items that may have restrictions applied to them by the customs authorities, such as limits of size or quantity. These include cosmetics, foodstuffs, spectacles and tobacco products.
Anything on the prohibited items list should not be shipped to the USA and is highly likely to fail to get past customs if it is. This list includes items such as firearms, meat and goods that have come from countries such as Iran and Myanmar.